[CentOS] Network interface fails after kernel upgrade

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 12:55:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:37 +0100, Clive Gould wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yum has just updated 5 of my Linux boxes running CentOS 4.3 to the
> 2.6.9-42 kernel.
>
> All is well on four of the boxes, but on the fifth the network card (eth0)
> will not work. I've downgraded the kernel to the previous version and the
> network card works fine again.
>
> I've tried removing and re-installing the new kernel, but the network card
> won't work with it.
>
> The details of the card are as follows:
>
> lspci:-
> 00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf:-
> alias eth0 8139too
>
> Any suggestions welcomed..

That card is to ubiquitous to have disappeared out of the kernel, I
think. Undertake the info gathering and debug thing: check dmesg - is
the card found? Check /var/log/messages for related messages. Do lsmod
to see if module is loaded (I suspect not). See if you can manually do
it (insmod or modprobe the driver, try to manually config card, ...).
That may give your answer. Or it may give at least some clue. Look in
the modules directory to see if the module exists?

Armed with that, someone might be able to help.

> Thanks
>
> Clive
> <snip sig stuff>

I'd offer more, but the one I'm running right now has the gigabit
Realtek, not the 10/100.

HTH
--
Bill