[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Fri Aug 25 14:30:22 UTC 2006

>> [1] qmail's license used to be source distribution only, because that
>> locked out anyone unable to compile it and its dependent packages and
>> "killed the weak".  Mail isn't that hard!  Mortals can get Postfix going!
>>

> That's not the worst part of the license. The real problem is that
> qmail as written has several logical flaws, the above-mentioned
> being the most obvious, and the license states that no one is
> allowed to distribute modified versions so it can't be fixed
> without completely replacing components.

There is a slight workaround. One can distribute the original + source +
patches and a script that does the patching/installing. Hence the
netqmail-1.05 version.

Les, quit making false statements about qmail. qmail does not have any
logical flaws otherwise Wietse would not follow the same design
principles in postfix after his spat with DJB. qmail's problem is that
the author has not done any updates to it since 1998 to handle the
changed needs required of a MTA software since then. SMTP is broken
which is why spammers and virus writers can create so much trouble. Both
SMTP and qmail were designed in an environment very different from what
we have now. That is why we have ESMTP and what not updates to the SMTP
protocol.

qmail is a fine piece of software and it also introduced the maildir
format which is now widely supported and used by anyone who cares about
the integrity of their mailboxes. I cannot understand what you have
against qmail to go around bad mouthing it. Don't tell me a stuffed
queue and perhaps a listing in some over zealous RBL was all it took.