[CentOS] How to configure a network logon (samba)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Aug 25 15:02:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 10:38 -0400, mbneto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure a CentOS4.x machine to perform a network
> logon with a samba server, like we can do with windows xp without
> having to create local users?
----
a samba logon requires a local account so the premise of the question
isn't clear.

NIX & LDAP are authentication methodologies that can be used across
different servers for user authentication. On CentOS 4, you can use smb
authentication presuming that you have a suitable Windows type server
mechanism.

Note that all of these implementations still have some ties to a 'local'
account.

Craig