[CentOS] Switching off color on console

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 15:44:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 16:22 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > > The notion of color is part of the terminal capabilities. And the answer
> > > should be, change the default TERM environment variable to linux-m instead
> > > of linux.
> >
> > Ye, ye ... but where to set that console is linux-m for default ---
>
> That's the question :) I have no answer.

man init  :-))

I'm not really being snippy here, I've had to look for this before and
took the same tortuous route that has been started here! They do *not*
make it easy. But it's always a good reminder to say "max xxx" or
"google xxx". It lets us appear guru-like without exposing very much of
our ignorance!  ;=))

> <snip>

And I still don't, but maybe a clue? Kernel parameter *if* allowed. I'm
looking for the list of those on my machine now. Haven't found them yet,
but ...

Maybe what's shown here?

  http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html#ss2.6

  2.6 Passing Arguments to the `init' program. Any remaining arguments
  that were not picked up by the kernel and were not interpreted as
  environment variables are then passed onto process one, which is
  usually the init program.

  3.4 Other Misc. Kernel Boot Arguments
  These various boot arguments let the user tune certain internal kernel
  parameters.<snip other interesting stuff>

  The `console=' Argument
  Usually the console is the 1st virtual terminal, and so boot
  messages appear on your VGA screen. Sometimes it is nice to be able to
  use another device like a serial port (or even a printer!) to be the
  console when no video device is present. It is also useful to capture
  boot time messages if a problem stops progress before they can be
  logged to disk. An example would be to use console=ttyS1,9600 for
  selecting the 2nd serial port at 9600 baud to be the console. More
  information can be found in linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt

However, this HOWTO is not updated recently, soooooo .... who really
knows.
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--