[CentOS] Forum utility, facility?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 17:55:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 12:14 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 11:50 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Decided for the first time to go look at the forum and see if it looked
> > useful. Can't decide. *Lots* of Qs with few responses.
> >

> We need more people to browse the forums and answer questions there.

That's what I had in mind. I've seen a couple posts from folks saying
"no response". So I figured maybe it's just not got to "critical mass"
yet. Since I quit smoking last year, I've added a little "critical mass"
=>:-O and thought I'd try to put it to a charitable use!  ;-)

> > Anyway, signed up. Maybe I can make some time 'cause some of those look
> > low-level enough for me to contribute a small amount.
> >
> > BUT, I have one aggravation that I wonder if it can be changed. I wanted
> > to use the same e-mail there as I use n the lists. It wouldn't let me.
> > And I don't see a way to change it once I'm registered.
> >
> > Did I miss something? Can my desire be accommodated?
>
> Why would it not let you?

It said the e-mail address was already in use. Maybe I registered a
*long* time ago and forgot? I sure don't recall doing so, and I
*habitually* do not join forums.

> We have nothing that ties the e-mails together from the lists to the
> forum, it should have let you register with it.

That was my suspicion. So I'm leaning toward "at my age... memory is the
second thing to go"!

I checked my archive. Only announce, general and (now in another user's
box) the new forum appear.

> If you send me the info off list (username, old address, new address), I
> will fix you up. (Once you have registered, e-mail can not be changed by
> the user.)

I'll send it along shortly. But I first want to change my list
subscription. I see spammer's have got hold of it and that never gets
better, just worse. I'll private-post you when I've done that.

As a suggestion to increase the utility of the Forum, see if the project
guys can squeeze a 25th hour into every third day or so (rotating
overburden) to provide an acknowledged presence of expertise. That
should draw some more users over there if we start seeing more and more
"... recently addressed in the forum" posts.

I know that is not an easy thing, but never hurts to suggest (and get
severely pummeled by the affected parties!  ;-).

As I can, I'll bop on over there and try to help where I can. But as
you've seen over time, I'm on the steep side of the learning curve in
many areas.

> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes
> <snip sig stuff>