[CentOS] Forum utility, facility?

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro leopinheiro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:46:11 UTC 2006

On 8/25/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> > Take a look if Google Groups works exactly the way you want.
> >
> we'd want to use something that integrates with our website - if we are
> going to have forums. Would google groups do that ?
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

I bet it doesn't (yet), unfortunately.

(or usenet "channel") and choose to receive messages by email or just read
it on google group's website like a forum (and write/follow-up from there).

There is one interesting feature, though. One can make a "group" and tell
Google to index an already existing mailing list, then Google gives you an
email (like group-98123 at googlegroup.com) and then you register this email
address as a normal user of the existing  mailing list, and from then on
every email of the list gets archived and usable on the Google Group. At the
same time, people may subscribe to the list through GG and use it freely to
send and receive email, like a new mailing list or like a forum. The two
mailing lists (the old one and the new one) gets synched. Don't ask me HOW
google does send message from it's group to the old mailing list - if the
"from" address if the same group-98123 at googlegroup.com as it is registered
there, or if it uses some trick to put the user's real email address. =)
There must be some way to send all the "old" emails from the original
mailing list to the Group email (like group-98123 at googlegroup.com), in order
to migrate the entire list.

But if this not indeed what Centos mantainers want, forgive my off-topic =)
Just hope this become useful for somebody here.

--
Vilela