[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Aug 25 21:21:16 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Do you want some?  My maillog shows 625856 rejects in the last 5 days.

Wow that is awesome, 100K+ attempts a day is totally beyond what I
experience, not even 1K attempts a day.  Even so I quite like less-ing
through my maillog and smiling at the NOQUEUEs.

> they've been getting rejected at that rate for a couple of years now
> and still coming.

I guess you made it on to some list that never gets cleaned, no wonder
you have it in for qmail ;-)

>>   - reject unknown usernames (much virus mail and a fair amount of spam:
>> gone)
>
> The difficulty here is that my internet-reachable relays don't actually
> have any users.

Ah well the advice is still good.  Deciding you don't want the mail at
SMTP time is the golden solution everyone agrees, comparing against a
domainwide userlist is the way whether it is done with mimedefang or
some script that collates usernames.  My mail setup is so small that I
have /etc/aliases to control users and that's the end of it.  I guess
that's at the heart of why sendmail complexity has no payback for me but
does for you.

-Andy