[CentOS] centos 5 and pen drive installation

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Fri Aug 25 23:42:17 UTC 2006

Jerry Geis wrote:
> hi,
>
> has there been any advanced features leaked about centos 5
> being able to install on a pen drive or thumbdrive.
>
> I've got a little application that would be great in the environment.

I was under the impression that flash memory had a somewhat finite
number of writes (relative to boring old hard disks) before the error
rate started to quickly go south.  Is that no longer the case?  If not,
flash ram and thumb drives are ridiculously cheap these days.  I just
picked up a 2gig miniSD card for my mobile phone for about US$40.  That
seems like *plenty* of space for a non-X server install with no moving
parts and low power consumption.  :-)

Cheers,