[CentOS] Problems after performing yum update

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 26 16:03:40 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 20:40 -0500, Robert wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> Now, the puzzling.  This is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ on an ASUS A7N8X
>> deluxe ver 2.0 m/b.  The symptom is that ntpd refuses to sync.
>>

> Any SELINUX messages?
Just these 6 lines in /var/log/messages each time the machine is booted:

Aug 26 09:06:49 mavis kernel: SELinux:  Initializing.
Aug 26 09:06:49 mavis kernel: SELinux:  Starting in permissive mode
Aug 26 09:06:49 mavis kernel: selinux_register_security:  Registering
secondary module capability
Aug 26 09:06:50 mavis kernel: SELinux:  Registering netfilter hooks
Aug 26 09:06:50 mavis kernel: SELinux:  Disabled at runtime.
Aug 26 09:06:50 mavis kernel: SELinux:  Unregistering netfilter hooks

Which, I assume, is a result of:

# cat /etc/selinux/config
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

> On my old fall-back K6-III, I get SELINUX
> messages. Haven't pursued them yet as I'm vacillating between putting
> 4.3 + updates on an new EPOX I've built or trying to wait for 4.4.
>
> And other things.
>

>> <snip>

Yes. Always other things.  I think I'll abandon this one for the time
being and concentrate on a very nice box that a friend GAVE me last
Monday. Maybe it will behave properly.