[CentOS] Can't update kernel, says not enough space

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 14:44:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 00:26 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> > This is why I've always been opposed to this "over partitioning" that
> > people do. It made some sense when hard drives were 2 gig but now it
> > just causes problems for no tangible gain.
> >

> You are quite wrong there. Are is plenty of gain on "correct partitioning".
> Having the correct number of partitions will make it possible to you
> to have partitions with different flag (/usr as read-only, /tmp as
> nosuid/noexec, /var/log as non-journaling etc), giving you flexibility,
> speed and security.

Rodrigo is 100% correct. Plus, many do as I do, have pre-built bootable
(and/or root) partitions on the same or other disks in the machine. Can
you imagine the ear-to-ear grin when I try my best to screw myself and
end up just rebooting another boot or mounting another root that is
ready to go: I feel like I'm *so* damn smart then (easy to overlook the
screw up:-)? I also get additional security and performance such as
Rodrigo suggests by taking advantage of partitioning. And with my new-
found LVM knowledge (still n00b, but coming along nicely) I find that
partitions still have a strong use.

> The problem is that many people (not saying that is the case here)
> don't know how to do it right, or even why they are doing it. In
> those cases, they should stick to the 4 basic partitions (/boot, /,
> /tmp and swap). But if you know what you are going, partitioning the
> disk correctly is the best thing to do.

100% right again. Although the terms I tend to think of are not "don't
know how to do it right", but "won't take the time to think and do it
right". And having experience and knowledge of some of the underlying
processes is really useful for more than a basic split. Consideration
for the activity profile of the particular node should also come into
play.

--
Bill