[CentOS] Can't update kernel, says not enough space

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 14:52:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 15:09 +1200, Tony Wicks wrote:
> This is why I've always been opposed to this "over partitioning" that
> people do. It made some sense when hard drives were 2 gig but now it
> just causes problems for no tangible gain.

I would disagree with this statement. It made less sense (although IMO
it still *did* make sense) because it was so hard to get the allocation
% correct and there was very little slop to recover. With larger drives,
lots of slop and growth room (could leave unallocated space on the disk:
couldn't do that often on the small disks). But what really makes it
useful (counter-intuitive, but true IMO) is the availability of LVM.
Even considering some of the overlapping functionality, aggressive
partitioning with aggressive use of the LVM facilities can yield a lot.

But remember that I'm new to LVM and my opinion should be suspect.

--
Bill