[CentOS] 32bit versus 64bit memory usage?

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 16:54:17 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Christian Nygaard <christiannygaard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm planning for new Centos 4 computers using the 64bit distribution and is
> wondering
> if there is a difference on how much RAM memory you should use on a 32bit
> versus
> 64bit operating system?
>
> Will processes such as for example KDE, Firefox use more memory on the 64bit
> architecture
> than on the 32bit and if so by how much as a rule of thumb?

I don't think so, at least as I understand things 64 bit just means
you can use more memory not that you must.  I don't know enough about
it but it seems to me you will gain some size from the fact that
pointers/addresses are now 8 bytes instead of 4, but I would think
that would not be that big of a deal.

Cheers...james