[CentOS] Problem with openvpn and tun interface

Alex Palenschat

alex at nssmgmt.com
Mon Aug 28 19:29:49 UTC 2006

I'm scratching my head here a little. And my post to the openvpn mailing
list is not getting any attention.

I have an openvpn server working with Windows clients and I thought I'd
try to get a client config on a CentOS box running. The client is a
minimal install of CentOS and I like to use shorewall (3.2.x). I've
tried to run the vpn client with the fw off and on with no change.

When I start the client I cannot ping anything on the vpn net or the
internal net. As near as I can tell no options are being pushed and the
tun interface is not being set up. Running an ifconfig does not show the
interface (it does show up on the server).

The log is being spammed by this:

Aug 28 13:54:06 host openvpn[5196]: TLS Error: Unroutable control packet
received from x.x.x.x:1194 (si=3 op=P_CONTROL_V1)
Aug 28 13:54:06 host last message repeated 7 times
Aug 28 13:54:07 host openvpn[5196]: TLS Error: Unroutable control packet
received from x.x.x.x:1194 (si=3 op=P_ACK_V1)

I have the same options in my client config as I do on windows except I
specified a local address to which to bind. Both boxes are configured
with ntp and I've checked that the cert was working as far as openssl is
concerned.

Does anyone here run this configuration successfully? If so, was there
anything you needed to do outside of loading the rpm via yum from
rpmforge and setting up the keys/config?

Alex Palenschat

Client config:

client
dev tun