[CentOS] 32bit versus 64bit memory usage?

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Tue Aug 29 10:52:16 UTC 2006

Christian Nygaard wrote:
> Thanks for this input regarding Gnome memory usage it is insightful and
> the percentage rule of thumb. The system will
> be 1U Dual Woodcrest 5140 terminal server and have somewhere around 8GB
> of memory

The sweet spot for memory size is around 10GB for a hugemem 32-bit kernel. At
16GB or more, I would definitively go for a 64-bit kernel if possible.

> reserve io ops for sporadic reboots of the latter. Its currently
> handling somewhat ok with 6GB of memory on two
> 32bit Dual Xeon machines for the same user load.

So both machines have 6GB, or 2x3GB?

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.