[CentOS] centosplus kernel packages and compiler versions

Bart Schaefer

barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:50:10 UTC 2006

I just installed the updated kernel packages for centos 4.4 from the
centosplus repository.

When I run vmware-config.pl to rebuild the vmware modules, it warns me
that the kernel was compiled with gcc 3.4.6, whereas my compiler is
gcc 3.4.5, and recommends that I not rebuild the modules unless I have
exactly the same compiler version.

I ignored this and built the modules anyway and they work fine, but
why are the plus kernels not built with the stock centos4 compiler
suite?