[CentOS] Re: Any one have a good example...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Aug 29 21:07:45 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes spake the following on 8/29/2006 1:02 PM:
> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 15:59 -0400, mike.redan at bell.ca wrote:
>> Maybe I am being dense here ... BUT ...
>>
>> Doesn't the "echo $$" only happen AFTER the else process is finished ???
>>
>> if you make the "else" process be the rsync script, then it will not
>> create $pidfile until after the rsync is done ... which does not help
>> you.
>>
>> if you leave the else process as is and kick off the rsync after the
>> echo $$ then it is not the same PID that you wrote to the $pidfile and
>> you will start more than one rsync process ... as the PID that you wrote
>> to $pidfile as the echo process ... that already finished ... or I am
>> mistaken?
>>

>> The idea of it is to place that bit of code at or near the beginning of
>> your script, then have the rsync process start after the "echo $$". That
>> will put the PID of your script into that file, the rsync process will
>> be started in the script, and the script would not end until the rsync
>> one does..so you are fairly safe that two instances of your script will
>> run at thte same time..
>>

> OK ... I see.
>
> The rsync process is a second PID ... but the first PID is also still
> open until after the script closes.
I tried the above, but was able to start multiple copies of the script.
So I will have to see what is not catching the runs.
The lockfile is there, but not stopping another execution of the script.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and