[CentOS] smbmount

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Tue Aug 29 22:59:52 UTC 2006

Absolutely.  The web page is a bit out of date but
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/

When you log in, the password is stored in memory (as plain text), but
samba uses a hash (md4?) on the wire.

You need to install
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/cifsmount-0.6-4.el4.i386.rpm
and http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/smbpwman-0.6-5.el4.i386.rpm

and to configure /etc/pam.d/system-auth /etc/auto.master and
/etc/smbautomount.conf

I am happy to provide help to set it up.

RHEL4 cifs driver has a bug with listing directories.  The web page
(above) also has instructions on how to build a working replacement driver.

John.