[CentOS] pppoe problems

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Aug 30 14:56:55 UTC 2006

Quoting kai <centos at sandsengen.com>:

> I'm having problem connecting to my isp with my sangoma s518.
> Everything seems to run smooth and wanrouter are training to
> connect....but forever..

Check that username and password in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
chap-secrets are correct.  It might seem trivial, but I got burned
with it once.  Also check that you pointed it to correct Ethernet
interface.  If the modem is directly connected to the Ethernet
interface (in other words, it is used only as connection to the modem)
you want to have that Ethernet interface in UP state, but with no IP
address on it (well, at least in default config).  You could do
something like "ifconfig eth0" or "ip addr show dev eth0" to check if
the interfaces is up or down (you should see word UP in the flags).

For example, your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (assuming
we are talking about eth0 interface here) should look something like:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=_mac_address_of_interface_here_
TYPE=Ethernet

Than you'd simply bring it up with "ifup eth0" command (if it was down).

--
NOTICE: If you are not intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that by reading this message you agreed not to disturb frogs during