[CentOS] CentOS-4.4 update: don't forget those rpmsave and rpmnew files folks!

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 01:56:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:45 -0700, Ed Morrison wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > After you do your update, done forget to do updatedb, makewhatis, ...
> > <snip>

> Hi William,
>
> I'm good for the updatedb but would you mind going into the others i.e
> makewhatis and ....?

Makewhatis builds the database for the keywords used by "man -k" (*not*
"man -K"), apropos and whatis commands.

> What do people do after running yum and updating their servers?

Servers? Others should answer that. But what I've picked up from the
project folks is that when certain files (usually config files) are
updated, the new file may *not* be installed and will be left on the
system as *.rpmnew. If they *are* installed, the previous file will be
available as *.rpmsave.

I always examine both of these and the new installed file, if any, and
make sure localizations are carried forward. E.g. enabling sendmail to
hear the network instead of just localhost by changing the sendmail.cf
file (I think that's the one that then generates the .mc file).

My Xorg config changes is another example. Changes to force DRI, allow
me to quickly switch between 6 screen resolutions with

    <CTL><ALT><+|->

to support my tired old eyes better.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH