[CentOS] Remote upload apache files

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Aug 31 09:19:31 UTC 2006

Tom Elsesser wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> the 'normal' way to do this is to setup a vhost in /etc/httpd/conf.d/
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I admit to not knowing much about apache, so
> forgive if this all sounds silly.
>
> I was looking at virtual hosts all day and just ended up confused and
> bitter, getting "you don't have access to / on this server", but I
> thought vhosts went into /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf? My conf.d dir has
> stuff like squirrelmail aliases. I need content for the site itself, so
> I didn't think an alias would work.

you dont need to touch httpd.conf at all, just setup all your
Virtualhosts in seperate files ( I do, somepeople just use a vhosts.conf
) in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ and you wont need to worry about conf file
mangling / handling when the httpd package updates, and moving config's,
data, html stuff becomes real easy between machines.

There is an example VirtualHosts setup ( the last few lines in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf ), just copy that and paste it into a new
file in conf.d/ - and remember you need to enable the NameVirtualHost <ip>.

everything in the conf.d/ directory that ends in a .conf is parsed and
used as config material by httpd.

>> " chcon -R   -u system_u -r object_r -t httpd_sys_content_t
>> /home/<username>/public_html/ "
>
> I had absolutely no idea about this command. The man page is fairly
> sparse, so I'll take you obviously knowledgeable word on this one.

chcon will handle / setup SELinux context's for httpd to access the
content.