[CentOS] Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem

Simen Thoresen

simentt at dolphinics.no
Thu Aug 31 10:24:49 UTC 2006

CentOS 4.3 (SMP, x86_64, Athlon64 X2) with all pre-4.4 release updates
applied.

Since I ran into the Yum issue at the previous upgrade, I first did
yum upgrade   to get the list of packages (6 to install, 206 to update).
I then did
yum upgrade yum     (which passed without issues)
yum upgrade sqlite  (which passed without isseus).

Fairly certain that yum now works correctly, I wanted to just do another
small upgrade before doing the rest, and did
yum upgrade samba

[root at naboens ~]# yum upgrade samba
Setting up Upgrade Process
Setting up repositories
<no progress>

This seemed to hang, and a look at top showed yum consuming more and
more memory, the system starting to swap and bog down and then become
unresponsive (all swap exhausted, I was not quick enough to kill yum).

I was able to reproduce this on a different machine (also x86_64, SMP
and Athlon64 X2), so it seems to be an actual problem. As I can play
around a bit more on this machine, I tried doing a yum upgrade (without
specifying samba) and it behaves the same (ie yum consuming increasing
amounts of memory while "Reading repository metadata (etc)".

Has anyone else experienced and been able to resolve this?

-S
--
Simen Thoresen, Dolphin ICS
Systems Administration and Wulfkit Support