[CentOS] Upgrade 4.3 to 4.4 appeared to die half-way through

Max H.

btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Aug 31 14:47:36 UTC 2006

Interesting problem here...perhaps.

I just upgraded about 6 machines this morning after syncing a local yum
server with no problems...until I get to my personal laptop of course. I
did the usual:

yum update yum
yum update

It went about half way through and then the terminal seemed to just die.
It just sat there stuck in limbo. I let it go for about 30 minutes and
it never moved, so I killed the terminal, but yet yum was still running
as a process which I had to kill.

Reluctantly I rebooted, and everything came up ok, but I'm very hesitant
to believe that things are tip-top. Is there anything I can do or anyway
I can check anything to double check things are actually fine?

The /etc/redhat-release shows ok:

cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.4 (Final)

I've been watching top and all that good stuff. All my services appear
ok as well, but call me paranoid because I'm convinced something has to
be wrong.

Should I stop with my paranoia and just chalk it up to my bash session
died, yum completed ok, but hung afterwards? Thanks!

Max