[CentOS] Upgrade 4.3 to 4.4 appeared to die half-way through

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Aug 31 15:10:52 UTC 2006

Max H. wrote:
> Interesting problem here...perhaps.
>
> I just upgraded about 6 machines this morning after syncing a local yum
> server with no problems...until I get to my personal laptop of course. I
> did the usual:
>
> yum update yum
> yum update
>
> It went about half way through and then the terminal seemed to just die.
> It just sat there stuck in limbo. I let it go for about 30 minutes and
> it never moved, so I killed the terminal, but yet yum was still running
> as a process which I had to kill.
>
> Reluctantly I rebooted, and everything came up ok, but I'm very hesitant
> to believe that things are tip-top. Is there anything I can do or anyway
> I can check anything to double check things are actually fine?
>
> The /etc/redhat-release shows ok:
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 4.4 (Final)
>
> I've been watching top and all that good stuff. All my services appear
> ok as well, but call me paranoid because I'm convinced something has to
> be wrong.
>
> Should I stop with my paranoia and just chalk it up to my bash session
> died, yum completed ok, but hung afterwards? Thanks!

FYI, I just seemed to discover that the actual upgrade process
completed, but the cleanup afterwards part is what died. I'm showing
various packages with two versions of packages installed. For example:

[root at laptop me]# rpm -q thunderbird
thunderbird-1.5.0.5-0.el4.1.centos4
thunderbird-1.5.0.5-0.el4.2.centos4

Now, I'm in thunderbird right now as I type with no problems or
anything. Is there a way to re-run the yum process and force the cleanup
at this point? Or am I stuck here?

Max