[CentOS] Upgrade 4.3 to 4.4 appeared to die half-way through

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:51:53 UTC 2006

On 31/08/06, chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
> Will McDonald wrote:
> > I don't know if there's any easy way to avoid this, but you can
> > mitigate the problem by batching your yum updates into smaller chunks
> > which will, if the futext problem halts the update, leave you with a
> > less hosed system. :)
>
> I don't understand what you mean when you say "batch yum updates into
> smaller chunks".  I usually just do a "yum update", eyeball the packages
> that it thinks I need, then hit ENTER to agree to the update.  What does
> this "batching" involve?

Just yum update a few packages at a time, that way if the process
hangs you only have a handful of packages to clean up after rather
than dozens or more. So do

# yum check-update

Look at the list then maybe do...

# yum update package1 package2 package3 package4

Yum will sort out the first 4 packages in the list and their
dependencies, then repeat until done.

Will.