[CentOS] Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Thu Aug 31 15:58:13 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 16:43 +0100, Will McDonald wrote:

>>>    Yes, I did get lots of duplicate packages but I've already fixed
>>>    that.  Basically, what I did was to run Adam Stoke's script to
>>>    remove duplcate packages. It can be located at
>>>    http://astokes.org/?q=node/49
>>>
>>> That website is no longer working.  Is there still a copy of this
>>> script floating around?
>>>
>> Not that I could find unfortunaltey. I've just done...
>>
>> [root at willspc ~]# for package in `rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{arch}\n" |
>> sort | uniq -d | grep -v kernel`;
>> do
>>   rpm -q $package;
>> done
>>
>> Which lists all base duplicated packages (though at least kernel and
>> gpg-pubkey are this way by design I believe). Then manually removed
>> the older packages. You could THORETICALLY do...
>>
>> # for duppackage in `rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{arch}\n" | sort | uniq -d
>> | grep -Ev '(kernel)|(gpg-pubkey)'`;
>> do
>>   for olderpackage in `rpm -q $duppackage | head -1`
>>   do
>>     rpm -e $olderpackage;
>>   done
>> done
>>
>> WARNING: ^^^^ That's entirely untested and reliant on the ordering
>> from rpm output, which looks consistent but I couldn't *swear* to it.
>> So be careful! :)
>>
>> Will.
>>

> personally, I would remove the new package and re-update in case
> something in cleanup is required for proper operations.
>
> what does everyone think.
>
> Not trying to jinx myself, but I have never had this problem using
> centos on hundreds of servers.

I've never had this type of problem either, but paranoia is setting in
since I've got a couple of key machines that happen to be in difficult
to reach locations if something should wedge the machine.  To date, I've
just thrown caution to the wind and remotely updated everything since
I've always had a remote helper at the various datacenters to pick up
the pieces if anything blew up (which has never happened to date).

Cheers,