[CentOS] Postfix won't relay after update to CentOS 4.4

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Aug 31 20:23:22 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

My CentOS 4.4 mail server is having problems sending mail after updating
it to 4.4  Before the update, I did not have any problems.

My ISP requires that email clients must authenticate to their mail
servers before mail can be sent out.  I setup smtp auth to get postfix
to relay mail through the ISP's mail servers.  Here's my config:

main.cf
--------
relayhost = [smtp.broadband.rogers.com]
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =

sasl_passwd
---------------
smtp.broadband.rogers.com      blah at blah.com:password

I've done the usual run through of config files after an update, and
made some small changes to main.cf (just added in comments and examples
that were in main.cf.rpmnew).  When I try to send a message, this is the
error I get:

F060D1C068: to=<m3freak at rogers.com>,
relay=smtp-rog.mail.yahoo2.akadns.net[206.190.36.18], delay=1,
status=bounced (host smtp-rog.mail.yahoo2.akadns.net[206.190.36.18]
said: 530 authentication required - for help go to
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html (in reply to MAIL
FROM command))

Just in case the ISP had done something, I manually tested
authenticating to the ISP's mail server, and it worked just fine:

Connected to smtp.broadband.rogers.com (206.190.36.18).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp105.rog.mail.re2.yahoo.com ESMTP
ehlo krs
250-smtp105.rog.mail.re2.yahoo.com
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XYMCOOKIE
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
AUTH PLAIN blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)

So, the problem is on the Postfix end.  I must assume something in the
Postfix update broke my setup, but I can't figure out what it is.  Has
anyone else run into this?  Am I missing something obvious?

Hints appreciated.

Regards,

Ranbir

--