[CentOS] Where's rpmbuild ???

Wed Aug 9 17:04:14 UTC 2006
Seán O Sullivan <seanos at seanos.net>

Nicholas Anderson wrote:
> hi all, dont know if there's something wrong with my system or what, but
> i can't find "rpmbuild" command ...
> is it a package separated from rpm? I dont think so cause there's no
> rpmbuild package in yum .... neither in rpmforge repositories ....
> the strange thing is that my system has the manuals for it, but the it
> doesnt have the binary (command itself)....

If have a system with rpmbuild can find out by doing :
$ which rpmbuild
/usr/bin/rpmbuild

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/rpmbuild
rpm-build-4.3.3-13_nonptl

Alternatively, can get information from yum :

$ yum provides rpmbuild

this will give lots of output -- the line/paragraph in particular you
should be interested in :

rpm-build.i386                           4.3.3-13_nonptl        base
Matched from:
/usr/bin/rpmbuild
/usr/share/man/man8/rpmbuild.8.gz
rpmbuild(VendorConfig) = 4.1-1