[CentOS] OT WAS: Johnny's postfix/dovecot/squirrelmail/virus scanning+ Centos4 Walk Through...

Wed Aug 16 20:13:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 09:25 -0500, Alex Palenschat wrote:

> > This website say "hacked..."
> >
> > Please i seafch a lot for a guide with these products... if
> > anyone have
> > the guide, please put the url or something like...
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> OK, I'll bite. I'm aware of how annoying it is to have someone peering
> over your shoulder when you are in the middle of a crisis asking
> questions, but I'm curious what it is that is making johnny's site so
> vulnerable. Is it forum software? I hope it's not a hack against a
> package in the base...
> Anyway, just wondering because I have user's complaining about the fact
> that I don't have their forum up and running. They may have to wait for
> a long time.
>
> Alex

2 things ...

1.  I am hosed on a shared server with many other users.  I have the
latest patches and such for my CMS software, but this is a cpanel server
(no comments on cpanel security from me)

2.  I have some secret admirers who keep scanning my site and are
purposely hacking me.  Such is life when you are a OS devel, most normal
people wont get this volume of hack scripts tried against their site.

Anyway ... I will continue to harden the site and plug the holes the
best I can.  I'm sure my admirers will continue to try their f'ing hack
tools ... so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes