[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Sun Aug 20 00:18:41 UTC 2006
Alain Reguera <alain.reguera at gmail.com>

Hi Karan... confessed I was a little afraid of bother ... thank for
reply and take the time

On 8/19/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Hi Alain,
>
> Alain Reguera wrote:
> > Thanks, Karan. Feel your kindness here. I really would like to know
> > someone who can clear this to me,
>
> your lawyer should be able to help surely ?

well, if I would have one maybe should help, but I don't :(. About
this kind of topic in my city I don't know any legal person with
authority in these licence topics. If there is someone on internet who
I could ask for...I'll be very interested in do so.

> > Our question was, why continue using something that they don't want we
> > use, even in a rebuild from them?, but even worst when we reached to
> > love them?. (please, no offence here)
>
> I dont understand your question. Who is the 'they' and who is the 'we',
> and who do you love ?

with "they" I refer to redhat (the main builder, who give the sources)

with "we" I refer to my friends and I, and maybe the others that could
be in the same situation of us.

and with "love" I mean that have been some years using and trying to
understand how something works make me feel a part of it, In this
moment part of CentOS that was who give me the direct possibility of
use. I refer to the organization and how the things work, and the idea
that I've been making of things. Those things that make the
differences with other distros.

> Or, are you asking this list why you should use CentOS even if you dont
> want to use it ? If that is indeed the question then the answer is
> simple - dont. Its a free world, you have the liberty to make a choice
> and use whatever you want.

no, no, no ... I definitely do want to use CentOS, and the way all is
organize on it. Just worried about that file I saw in fedora, and my
country discrimination. Because fedora is from redhat ..., and CentOS
is rebuild from redhat ...  just to know the legal influences of that
restriction with what I am using now. Trying to see if from a legal
point of view the use of CentOS is legally permitted to me.

Think GPL goes beyond the countries' laws, or maybe don't ... again as
you suggest me think I need a lawyer.

> > For that reason, get into my neuronal war and ask you pals. That was
> > the reason of asking what was exactly the difference between centos
> > and redhat. Because if CentOS is completely different to redhat, and
> > though don't have this discriminatory list on it, Cause we believe in
> > open source, no matter that one bad guy set us apart because you
> > consider us. open source permit that in a honestly way (I think).
>  >
> > I am a guy that don't want that my infront sidewalk neighbors use my
> > software, but only the same sidewalk houses that are around me. So one
> > modest guy in the houses around rebuild the software I do. They
> > believe in open source and share to all and release them to the
> > worldwide (including the infront sidewalk pals too). The infront
> > sidewalk pals appreciate the modest guy that release a rebuild, even
> > for their comrades in the same sidewalk around whom haven't the money
> > to pay the software. If it is possible that, even people who build a
> > software by any reason don't want to others to use them but release
> > their sources (by now, or in a future close, the modest guy would have
> > to buy in order to rebuild and continue with its noble cause ahead)
> > and permit rebuild of one way or another.
> >
> > So, does the open source permit to those that are no permitted by the
> > main builder to use one software, use the rebuilt software from them,
> > if a rebuilder (that can do it) release it without cost and without
> > that discriminatory list? Thinking so because the modest rebuild is
> > not a work that apply the commercial laws of the sidewalk around of
> > that, that do. Is that right Karan?
>
> Like I said before, you lawyer should have the answers you seek. CentOS
> is released, as a distro, under the GPL - with packages that have their
> own individual licenses.

ok, will try to find a lawyer.

> > But if there is some type of dependency from redhat that propagates
> > its rules and politics to the rebuilds, feel like all the battle
> > swords of my neuronal war passing through my chest :(

lawyer where are you?

> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

Again, thanks for take the time, you must be very busy.

my Regards to you and your Time
Al.