[CentOS] Switching off color on console

Fri Aug 25 14:22:17 UTC 2006
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, "Petr \"Qaxi\" Klíma" wrote:

> > > in /etc/DIR_COLORS change line "color tty" to "color none"
> >
> > The notion of color is part of the terminal capabilities. And the answer
> > should be, change the default TERM environment variable to linux-m instead
> > of linux.
>
> Ye, ye ... but where to set that console is linux-m for default ---

That's the question :) I have no answer.

> > Still I looked for the proper place to set the TERM environment and I could
> > not find where one should put it. Either mingetty should be told (which
> > apparently is not possible) or one can do it conditionally based on tty
> > being used.
> >
> > Both will not change the colors seen during the boot process. Maybe this is
> > a good question for Red Hat's knowledgebase or bugzilla ?
> >
> > It probably is a kernel boot parameter.
>
> With color during bootime, respectively INIT time I can help you ...
>
> from /etc/sysconfig/init

But that's not the correct fix. I found this that explains it a little
bit:

	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-9.html#console_

But no answers in there.

BTW Even on monochrome screens you can see 'colors'. (bold, underline,
different shades of gray) What happens on your console when colors are
shown ?

Kind regards,