[CentOS] hdc lost interrupt

Fri Aug 25 18:28:48 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 08:15 -0600, Jamie Wilch wrote:
> Hello
>
> After updating to the 2.6.9-42 kernel, one of my boxes stall during boot
> with
>
> hdc lost interrupt
> ide-cd:cmd 0x3 timed out
>
> The older 2.6.9-35 kernel boots fine.  This is a Compaq Proliant PL360.
>  The odd part is, I have another, identical Proliant that runs the new
> kernel just fine.
>
> Any idea what is happening?

No, but a guess from things I seen in the past. Had drives that
ultimately went bad exhibit this. From cold boot, some that spun up too
slowly (might boot OK by doing a warm boot). Marginal power (undersized
or eqpt added to original config) for everything starting up at the same
time (staged "spin up/power up" gets by this). Loose power/data
connectors. GSN cell phone inside the computer case =>:-O. (Joke, put it
does make noise in my speakers when it "trains up with the tower").

Have you looked at it with hdparm? If it's a "S.M.A.R.T." capable drive,
have you used smart tools (smartmon?) on it? Now I know you only changed
the OS, but I just went through this (different symptoms) when hardware
started to abdicate its responsibilities around the same time I upgraded
a couple things (seamonkey, e.g.).

Never assume.

> Thanks
> Jamie