[CentOS] Problems after performing yum update

Sat Aug 26 09:00:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 20:40 -0500, Robert wrote:
> I performed the update yesterday that included installing kernel
> 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL and replacing ethereal with wireshark.
> First, the trivial...
> Wireshark would not run from the KDE menu without editing the menu to
> change the command from "wireshark" to "kdesu wireshark" because dumpcap
> is at usr/sbin/dumpcap instead of /usr/bin/dumpcap . Making the change
> causes wireshark to open root password dialog like ethereal, which it
> replaced. (And which makes sense.)

Just for the record ... we had already taken action on that one to try
and get a bug corrected upstream (pretty good for someone who "Doesn't
know what is to give something back" ... sorry different thread :) :

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1459

> Now, the puzzling.  This is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ on an ASUS A7N8X
> deluxe ver 2.0 m/b.  The symptom is that ntpd refuses to sync.  Dropping
> back to kernel 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL restores ntpd to proper operation.  My
> first thought was that the smp code must have been incorporated in the
> non-smp kernel because the system mis-behaves exactly as it has in the
> past when Anaconda mistakenly installed the smp kernel.  What clouds the
> picture is that when I checked the updates repository, I found both
> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.i686.rpm
> and
> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.i686.rpm
> which then made me wonder if there was a glitch in the build process.

No glitch in building, maybe a problem with the kernel and your
hardware ... we always have a kernel and a kernel-smp.

There is also a new ntp in those updates.

> Has anyone else seen this?

I always run a ntpdate at startup against my time server then start the
ntpd service.  I am using the new smp kernel and ntpd on 3 machines and
it seems to be working. None of my machines are AMD though.