[CentOS] LiveCD problem on IBM BladeCenter remote console ?

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Dec 1 05:00:55 UTC 2006

I've got a IBM BladeCenter with its integral TCPIP KVM and centos and
stuff running on various blades, we use this mostly for software testing
purposes in a small development group.

i wanted to boot the liveCD so I could try and recover some files from a
totally screwed up system (disk got fsck'd beyond what I feel
comfortable repairing)...    so I map an ISO image of the CentOS 4.4
live CD on the virtual CD drive function of the blade chassis, and
reboot my broken blade on it.  getting fatal errors from the boot that
it can't find the CD drive.

screen capture with it crispy.
http://hogranch.com/files/Bitmaps/remotescreen1.png

the regular CentOS Server CD was boot fine on these blades not long
ago.   there -is- an oddness where sometimes the virtual CD shows up as
a second SCSI CD drive to the target.