[CentOS] I've been hacked -- what should I do next?

John K Masters johnmasters at oxtedonline.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 20:13:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:01:54 -0600
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at 8-p.ca> wrote:

> Quoting Joshua Zukerman <hawk82 at gmail.com>:
>
> > If the IP is outside of the US, then I
> > wouldn't bother as e-mailing an admin from another country is useless
> > unless you speak their language.
>
> Let me assure you that even admins in Quebec will speak English.  Not
> always to Americans.  But with most other people around the world they
> will.  I heard it has something to do with the attitude you showed in
> the quoted email (see above).

I have stopped reporting breakin attempts to any ISP outside the UK. It would appear from this and previous posts that, if the breakin came from an ISP's IP range in one's own country then something may get done, otherwise, forget it.

BTW I run fail2ban on all my servers, CentOS and Debian, and set to permanently ban after 3 attempts.
--
John K Masters - User #417400 in the Linux Counter http://counter.li.org/