[CentOS] Installing CentOS over LAN

Gary Richardson gary.richardson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 03:37:31 UTC 2006

Do some google searches for kickstart or look at
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/s1-kickstart2-options.html

I have a webserver set up and I use that instead of NFS. I put the cd in,
boot the system and at the linux prompt, I run something like:

linux: linux ks=http://<kickstart server>/<config file for specific server>

Then I walk away and wait for the heavy lifting to be done. With kickstart,
you can script all the post-install configuration that you typically do --
deploying a system is now down to 15 minutes for me. I have stock configs
for mail servers, name servers and webservers -- when I need a new one, it's
as simple as provisioning the hardware (and even more simple when using
virtualization).

If you have a dhcp server, you can do it without a cd at all -- you can use
the PXE boot images.