[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel D965 motherboards

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Dec 5 18:23:11 UTC 2006

David Thompson wrote:
> Does anyone have information on support for Intel D965-based motherboards for
> CentOS 4 (i386)?
>
> I've got a DG965RYCK that fails a CentOS 4.4 install early on (problems
> scanning the PCI bus).  Fedora Core 6 installs just fine.
>
> If anyone has any information, or magic boot parameters to try, please let me
> know.  ("Works for me" is OK too).

If it's not too late, return the motherboard, get something else.

My personal experience with Intel's desktop motherboards is that they
work most of the time for most of the people.  Which is not enough for
me.  If you browse the list's archives, you'll find that particular
models of Intel motherboards worked fine for many people on the list.
However, that can't be said for the whole line of Intel's motherboards
in general.  I currently have one Intel motherboard on my desk that
works just fine with CentOS 4.4 (D845GNT).  There is couple of BIOS bugs
when selecting boot device, but with some trial and error I got it to
boot from CD-ROM so I could install OS onto it.  Some time ago I also
had another Intel's motherboard (D865PERL) that worked extremely
unstable depending on combination of additional PCI cards (it
particularly didn't like PCI cards made by Intel).

I just try to avoid them.