[CentOS] Getting and installing kernel source for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp

Seth Bardash seth at integratedsolutions.org
Wed Dec 6 18:20:08 UTC 2006

Jr
> Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:01 AM
> To: centos at centos.org
> Subject: [CentOS] Getting kernel source for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp
>
> Hello!
>
> I need to get an arcnet device driver up and running.  Normally it
> appears to be distributed with linux, but not installed.  So,
> I need to
> compile and install it, naturally.
>
> So, where is the kernel souce for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp?  I can find kernel

> source for 2.6.9.

The kernel source for building the kernel is in the SRPM's directory.

The original install kernel source is in
./4.4/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm

The latest update kernel source
./4.4/updates/SRPM/kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.src.rpm

But getting the source is just the beginning.

Follow these instructions from the kernel portion of theRedhat 4.0
release notes to install the kernel sources:

# Source rpm install notes for 4.x

In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package
for the kernel source code when that source code already exists in the
kernel's
.src.rpm file, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 no longer includes the
kernel-source
package. Users that require access to the kernel sources can find them
in the
kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source tree from this
file, perform
the following steps (note that <version> refers to the version
specification for
your currently-running kernel):

   1. Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the
following
sources:
          *

            The SRPMS directory on the appropriate "SRPMS" CD iso
image
          *

            The FTP site where you got the kernel package
          *

            By running the following command:

            up2date --get-source kernel

   2. Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default RPM
configuration, the
files this package contains will be written to /usr/src/redhat/)

   3. Change directory to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/, and issue the
following
command:

      rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec

      (Where <arch> is the desired target architecture.)

      On a default RPM configuration, the kernel tree will be located
in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.

   4. In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific kernels
shipped in
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 are in the /configs/ directory. For
example, the i686
SMP configuration file is named
/configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue
the following command to place the desired configuration file in the
proper
place for building:

      cp <desired-file> ./.config

   5. Issue the following command:

      make oldconfig

You can then proceed as usual.

Note: An exploded source tree is not required to build kernel modules
against the
currently in-use kernel.

For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following file
(named
Makefile) in the directory containing the foo.c file:

obj-m    := foo.o

KDIR    := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD    := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module.

Hope this helps

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
1510 Old North Gate Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

719-495-5866
719-495-5870 Fax
719-337-4779 Cell

http://www.integratedsolutions.org

Failure can not cope with knowledge and perseverance!