[CentOS] Re: Centos 4.x and embeded x86 (wrap, pcengines)

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Wed Dec 6 19:40:00 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 11:01, chrism at imntv.com wrote:
> I suspect that most folks would probably wind up using the system as a
> paperweight long before the CF has degraded unless you were doing
> extremely write intensive tasks with it.  The newer flash parts claim to
> have an "endurance" of millions of writes and and MTBF of millions of
> hours.  Granted, I wouldn't use them to store index files for my usenet
> feed, but that's a LOT of writes.  :)  And given how the prices of CF
> are dropping like a stone, you could always pre-emptively rotate new
> parts in and use old ones in your digital camera/etc.

One write a minute to the same sector gives you a failure time of under two
years (ignoring write-remapping) on a flash device verified for 1,000,000
erase-write cycles.  Given this, it's at least prudent to make sure that it
logs to a remote host only, or sparsely.  Making /tmp (and possibly /var/tmp)
ramdisks is also useful.

It might not be common to get that many writes to the same sector
consistently, but considering a few easy steps can greatly extend te life of
the device, it might be worth it.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks