[CentOS] Getting and installing kernel source for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Dec 6 20:54:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 03:42:13PM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr enlightened us:
> I was able to get the original 4.4 kernel from
>
>  http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.4/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm
>
> using Phillip R. Shaffner's advice.
>
> However,  rpm -i kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm
> yielded no driver source anywhere under /usr/src ; in particular, no
> arcnet source.

There should have been tarballs and config files in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES,
unless you've modified your rpm macros to point to a different %_top

> So, I tried Seth Bardash's advice to use up2date:
>
>  up2date --get-source kernel
>
> This yielded a number of fetches, but terminated with
>
>    An HTTP error occurred:
>    Status Code: 404
>    Error Message: Not Found
>
> No driver source present afterwards, either, anywhere under /usr/src.
>
> > Note: An exploded source tree is not required to build kernel modules
> against
> > the currently in-use kernel.
>

> That's basically what I want to do -- just build the arcnet code and
> insmod it.
>
> So, what am I doing wrong?  How do I get that source?

Have you looked at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak