[CentOS] Re: Centos 4.x and embeded x86 (wrap, pcengines)

Fri Dec 8 09:37:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 17:07 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> David Hrbác wrote:
> > Oliver Schulze L. napsal(a):
> >
> >> Thats a good point, I should look into the constant write problem.
> >> I was thinking in an embedded platform for its costs, low space, low
> >> power consumption
> >> and disk less operation.
> >>

> > No, that's pretty good point. :o) Majority of systems running from
> > thins in RAM-disk and sending them to central authority. There's write
> > attempt limit within CF.
> >
> there's special file systems optimized for flash use, squashfs is
> readonly (its compressed at system build time) and jffs2 (aka jiffy) is
> a writeable FS designed to minimize block writes to the flash.
> Embedded Linux like used by OpenWRT on the WRT54GS and compatible
> routers uses both of these.
>
> http://squashfs.sourceforge.net/
> http://sourceware.org/jffs2/
>
> the discussion of these two on the OpenWRT WIKI...
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Installing#head-3d6480403b294d4c261f360ab9efc82f388a8790

The CentOS Live CD uses squashfs and unionfs, writes to ramdisk, and
writes to one location.

It (or something based on it) might be good for an embedded solution.

This site has newer versions of the technique used:

http://linux.web.psi.ch/livecd/build.html

The CentOS kernel used (with built in squashfs support) is here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/build/livecd/RPMS/

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes