[CentOS] large disk volumes with 64bit kernel

Daniel Senie

dts at senie.com
Tue Dec 12 02:01:52 UTC 2006

I installed 4.4 on a machine that's got two RAID volumes, one of
which is a bit over 2.1 terabytes. The installer had no problem.
However, fsck does. Commenting out the volume in /etc/fstab, the
machine will boot. The machine will mount the volume and use it.
Everything seems fine except fsck, which seems, well, fscked.

When trying to run fsck, it says:

# fsck /dev/sdb1
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 549346683 blocks
The physical size of the device is 12475771 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>? yes

Is there some way to build single volumes larger than 2TB? It should
not be a problem with a 64 bit OS (Windows managed to do it on this
hardware before I switched it over to Linux). Is there some tuning I
need? Any pointers to documents or other useful references would be
appreciated. Thanks for any/all help.

Dan
Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

   "George Orwell was only off by 20 years. Had he titled his book
    2004 instead of 1984, he'd have been hailed as prescient.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength." -dts