[CentOS] 4.4/64-bit Supermicro/ Nvidia RAID [thanks]

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Dec 12 09:37:57 UTC 2006

> Now you are telling me that somehow you have code that makes your
> database stuff its journal on your RAID controller's cache. Cool, mind
> sharing it with the rest of us?

    fsync(handle);

If we -dont- do this after processing each event, and the system fails
catastrophically, a thousand or so events (a couple seconds worth of
realtime data) are lost in the operating systems buffering.      I feel
like I'm repeating myself.

> If the aggregate queues are up to 10GB, I really wonder wonder how
> much faster your hardware raid makes things unless of course your
> cache is much larger than 2GB. Just on the basis of the inadequate
> size of your cache I would give software raid + RAM card the benefit
> of the doubt.

the combined queue files average a few to 10GB total under a normal
workload.  if a downstream subscriber backs up, they can grow quite a
bit, up to an arbitrarily set 100GB limit..   its these queue files that
we are flushing with fsync().   each fsync is writing a few K to a few
100K bytes out, one 'event' worth of data which has been appended to one
or another of the queues, from where it will eventually be forwarded to
some number of downstream subscribers.   What we're calling a journal is
just the index/state of these queues, stored in a couple seperate very
small files, that also get fsync() on writes, it has NOTHING to do with
the file system.

to store these queues on a ramcard, we'd need 100GB to handle the backup
cases, which, I hope you can agree, is ludicrious.

Throughput under test load (incoming streams free running as fast as
they can be processed)

    no fsync - 1000 events/second
    fsync w/ direct connect disk - 50-80 events/second
    fsync w/ hardware writeback cached raid - 800/second

seems like a clear win to me.