[CentOS] HP nw8240 xorg failing after update

Tue Dec 12 10:20:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 08:41 +0000, Ian Harper wrote:
> having had centos running fineon my nw8240 laptop I recently decided
> to try doing an update, now X wont start up - its keep reporting
> problems with various gnome libraries missing, if I look in /usr/lib
> there are some links to files that no longer exist or are different
> versions i.e. libgnomecanvase-2.so.0 instead of libgnomecanvas-2.so.
>
> Is there a simple method of rolling back ? or of getting the ati
> driver and gnome to work again ?

updating doesn't normally make files go away ... how (what) did you
update?  Do you have repositories other than the CentOS base ones
enabled?

If you want to roll back, you can use the command:

rpm -qa --last > rpms.last

you can edit rpms.last and see which RPMS were installed (in reverse
date order) and reinstall the ones that you would like to reinstall.