[CentOS] large disk volumes with 64bit kernel

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue Dec 12 22:43:31 UTC 2006

At 12:52 AM 12/12/2006, Feizhou wrote:

>># fsck /dev/sdb1
>>fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
>>e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
>>The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 549346683 blocks
>>The physical size of the device is 12475771 blocks
>>Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
>>Abort<y>? yes
>>Is there some way to build single volumes larger than 2TB? It
>>should not be a problem with a 64 bit OS (Windows managed to do it
>>on this hardware before I switched it over to Linux). Is there some
>>tuning I need? Any pointers to documents or other useful references
>>would be appreciated. Thanks for any/all help.
>
>Are you using a GPT partition for that 2.x TB filesystem?

I wasn't. I had let the installer set up the partition using LVM.
Then I tried without LVM. No matter what I did, it went boom.

I used parted to create a gpt partition, and was able to build a
clean file system that fsck doesn't get upset about.

>http://www.wlug.org.nz/GPT

Thanks VERY much for this info. It solved my problem.

Both anaconda and the LVM GUI created partitions that were unusable.
Nice set of bugs.