[CentOS] 4.4/64-bit Supermicro/ Nvidia RAID [thanks]

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Wed Dec 13 18:43:24 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 20:30, chrism at imntv.com wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
> > Are you trying to say that the drivers provided by Promise, Highpoint
> > and other cruft are on the same level as Linux's software raid code
> > and therefore Linux's software raid driver sucks?
>
> No, I believe Bryan was saying it.  :)

Actually, if you read the entire article, he makes a point of saying he is
talking about Fake RAID and not software RAID which he does have some good
comments for.  The article goes into how Fake RAID forces the drives to
operate in a sub-standard way (by virtue of how the BIOS is used to access
the drives), which is not the same as software RAID, which is standard drive
access with an OS access layer thrown on top.

He isn't very flattering towards software RAID-5 though.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks