[CentOS] Tyan K8SRE troubles with CentOS 4.4 i386

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Wed Dec 13 23:20:56 UTC 2006

have you tried single sourcing the ram in one of those machines?  I
think the mixed capacities are causing issues.

Dan Halbert wrote:
> We have been seeing failures with CentOS 4.4 i386 (not x86_64) running
> compute-intensive programs on Tyan K8SRE (S2891) Tymotherboards, running
> Opteron 265's. This motherboard is used in the Tyan barebones box GT24
> (B2881). We have these boards populated with 8GB of RAM, consisting of
> mixed 2GB and 1GB sticks.
>
> The symptom is that CPU-bound programs (may or may not be related to
> floating point) fail randomly and intermittently, with wrong answers or
> segfaults. Running several in parallel seems to make the failures more
> likely. We have not seen any kernel crashes. It is not hard to reproduce
> the problem with some internal programs we have; it takes only a few
> minutes.
>
> This is using a completely-up-to-date-as-of-yesterday CentOS 4.4 i386,
> hugemem or not doesn't make a difference. We have seen this on many
> boxes, so it's not bad memory. We do NOT see this problem if we run
> CentOS 4.4 x86_64 on the same boxes, using the same 32-bit test
> executables. We also don't see this problem on some slightly older boxes
> with Tyan K8SD motherboards running CentOS 4.4 i386 (also Opteron 265's,
> with 8GB of 1GB DIMMs).
>
> We have been looking at BIOS settings, but haven't seen anything that
> stands out. memtest86 does not show errors.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions of what this issue might be,
> Dan

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099