[CentOS] New VLC (0.8.6) packages?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Dec 14 15:51:55 UTC 2006

chrism at imntv.com wrote:
> Michael Watters wrote:
>> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>>> Anyone know where I could find this package for Centos 4.4 x86_64?
>>> I've googled all over and haven't been able to find anything more
>>> current the 0.8.4a.
>>>
>>> I'm not much of a programmer, but if someone could point me at a
>>> "packaging  for dummies" perhaps I could have a go at creating a
>>> package if one doesn't already exist?
>>>
>> If you want to build your own the checkinstall program is great.  Just
>> compile the source like your normally would and run checkinstall
>> instead of make install, it builds an RPM for you.
>
> If I even get that far.  It seems to require a LOT of external libs for
> various video/audio codecs that are proving to be a PITA to track down
> and then get to play well together, especially if you've already got
> other tools like ffmpeg installed.  I guess now I know why the available
> versions in various repos are so stale.  :(

Yep. I spent the better part of a day downloading, compiling, and
installing the various components. It did eventually work though. This
was with 0.8.5. I got all of the components from the VLC download, since
I figured using the same versions that the VLC team did should save me
further headaches.

The whole reason I did this was because the 0.8.4 RPM version that will
install on Centos 4.4 does not work. It complains about 'wxwidgets'
missing. I found numerous posts from people with the same problem, but
no-one who managed to make it work.

Tom