[CentOS] How to connect to a Windows PC in LAN

Ha Thai Duong

duongthaiha at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 22:10:19 UTC 2006

Hi
I am a new bee to Linux in general. Please accept my apologies if the
question is not appropriate.

I have a LAN with 2 computers: One is CentOS and one is Windows XP.
I am trying to transfer file between 2 computers using LAN. Can you
please tell me how to do it?

I have tried Samba from the Applications menu.
Add a directory in there. Set it to Read only and Allow access to
everyone. I couldn't see the CentOS from Windows computer.

I have tried the Network Servers. There is Windows Network there. When i
click to see inside that, there is nothing.

I tried to see the all the services are running. The winbind status is
winbindd dead but subsys locked.

Thanks a lot for your help. I do appreciate that.