[CentOS] Multimedia setup for LTSP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 19 01:43:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 19:15 +0100, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm setting up a CentOS 4 in AMD64 box. The goal is to mount a terminal
> server with LTSP software. Currenlty I'm in troubles with the multimedia
> support. I've added Dag's, Karanbir's and Dries' repositories according
> that.
>
> ¿Is there some intention to make a multimedia group as others groups
> (FTP Server, Web Server... etc)? It would be great.
>
> ¿What packages do you recommend to me for that (I supose lame, mplayer...)?
>
> ¿Is there any way to install w32codecs package in my AMD64 box?
----
I am much more familiar with 32 bit and would tend to lean towards
Fedora Core 6 (or maybe wait for CentOS 5) for workstations wanting to
run media content but it would seem that you would need to install a
media player application like mplayer or vlc. I don't know of any group
list for installing them.

Anyway, this should somewhat work for (recalling from Fedora)...

video
yum install mplayer mplayerplug-in mplayer-skins mplayer-fonts

audio
yum install xmms xmms-mp3 xmms-aac xmms-skins

lame probably works too.

Craig