[CentOS] Kickstart: Give IP From ks= Cmdline A Myth?

Karl R. Balsmeier

karl at klxsystems.net
Wed Dec 27 19:52:01 UTC 2006

Hey, someone just told me yesterday that I can give my machine an
initial IP address, gateway, dns server, and netmask via command line
like this:

linux ks=http://www.mydomain.com/kick.ks ip=192.168.1.5
netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1 dns=192.168.1.10

Is this true?  Is the syntax wrong or right?

If so, and I call my kick.ks file and it has
install
cdrom

it'll pull the files from the CD but won't launch the CD install right?
I just want to initiate a kickstart where the systems get their drive
partitioning info, IP addressing & hostname attributes, and minimal
install packages, from the kickstart file.

Is it really true that you can use the above command line to give an
address for the machine to use in seeking out a kickstart file on the
network?  I tried it a few times last night an looked for a very long
time for examples of this syntax, and found none.

-krb